WEEK 10: Trying out different print processes and practicing my sewing skills

This week I have been screen-printing in the print room. I have not got my finished designs yet, but I wanted to test out some initial prints to see what they looked like on fabric. I used blue, black, yellow, green pigments. Blue and black look good. I am not keen on green. The yellow too weak as main colour but it could possible be used as a highlight colour.

With the test prints some of the fine lines were to thin and the detail did not show up. The thicker lines look much better. I put images too close together on the screen. When I masked off some of the images with tape, the tape moved and some of the blocked off image printed through, which wouldn’t have happened if I had put the images further apart on the screen.


This week I have also been practicing my sewing skills. I have sewn a second pair of leggings and hand printed on to them with a stencil and fabric paint. I really like the effect of this print process.

I am happy with my leggings, considering they are only my second attempt. I am going to carry on developing my sewing skills, so that it is at a professional standard.






Sewing kids leggings

I have been trying to find someone to sew a sample of my leggings and t-shirt for me, but this is proving to be difficult. I think I am going to have to sew my sample myself.

In theory this should be easy, as I have a degree in fashion design and spent three years being taught the whole garment making process from designing, to creating a pattern, to constructing the garment. However, sewing has never been my strength and I haven’t sewn for over six years. But I have recently brought myself a sewing machine with the intention of practicing my sewing skills.

I have been watching lots of legging sewing tutorials on youtube. Below is a photo of my first attempt as sewing leggings (cut from an old t-shirt). They are not too bad for a first attempt, but I need lots of practice to have them at  professional standard.