WEEK 14: It’s Christmas….

So this week has been Christmas, and I can’t lie……doing uni work and having Christmas with a four-year-old it has been hard to get things done.

What I have been doing this past week it lots of printing:

20161224_112644.jpg20161223_101648.jpg

I have also experimented with fabric crayons:

20161223_091303.jpg

I also made myself and my son some hand printed leggings:

20161223_115551.jpg20161224_161449.jpg

 

I have also been trying to finalise my project proposal, but I am really struggling with this. I am not great at writing essays and I find it really difficult with my dyslexic brain; I feel like I have all of the information to go into my proposal, but I just don’t know how to put it all together. So I am going to be working on this all of next week.

 

WEEK 13: Printing at home and re-designing my blog

This week I have been continuing to print at home, my other pigments have arrived so I am now able to mix numerous colours. This week I have also brought some fabric crayons, I have never used these before but I am currently experimenting with them as I feel they will lend themselves nicely to my childlike designs.
20161213_145245_resized
I have also been thinking about different streams of income, and I have been thinking about the talk we had from Caroline about passive incomes. I think further down the line I would like to generate some kind of income from my blog, although I am not quite sure yet how this will be done. But it has made me realise I needed to redesign my blog and have my blog look more professional.
My blog before the re-design:
blog nov 2016.jpg
My blog after the re-design:
blog-dec-2016
I have chosen the above theme because I wanted my blog to look very clear and easy to navigate. I also wanted my social media icons at the top of the page.
I have been looking at SEO and I am currently watching videos on Lynda.com about understanding SEO and how to utilise it with my blog. My aim is that I will have a blog that will become a place that people will come for information about fashion, trends, and childrenswear. Along with the following details of my progression through my masters and launching my business idea.

Silk Screen Printing At Home On To Pre-made T-shirts

I have been continuing to practice my silk screen printing technique at home. I purchased some plain cotton T-shirts from the Internet to practice my printing onto (I plan to make my own T-shirts in the future). I really like the image that I have printed onto the T-shirts and I have practiced on a baby grow to. However, the image is too big for a baby grow so if I was to pursue this avenue in the future I would need to have different sized images so that the placement would be better on the baby grow. Although I like the below image on the T-shirts I felt they looked a little bit basic and needed a little bit extra done to them.

I wanted to introduce some colour. I currently only have black pigment and a blue pigment so I used the blue pigment to print an image in the background of one of the T-shirts as you can see in the below photo. I really like the look of this and I am going to continue to experiment with different ways of printing. I have ordered additional pigments so that I can experiment with more colours too.

20161210_211242_resized20161211_123533_resized

Testing prints at home

I now have a screen that has been exposed at University and I have taken it home. I have ordered some pigments online which is from the same supplier that the University uses and I have been trying out a few prints.

20161210_140304_resized.jpg

I have brought some cheap white cotton leggings from the Internet that I wanted to practice printing onto. I brought these because I was planning to have my own leggings manufactured and then printed on them to meet demand. However, from my test as shown in the photo below, printing onto a pair of leggings after they have been made does not work very well. I need to print onto flat fabric and then turn them into a pair of leggings afterwards.

20161210_140253_resized

 

 

WEEK 12: Tutorial, High House, and Printing at Home

This week I had a tutorial where we discussed my project proposal. I also had further feedback about my presentation from last week, as I’d mentioned in my previous post about my presentation, I had not gone into enough detail in my literature review section. It was suggested to me that as I have done lots of research but didn’t show this in my presentation, that I could have displayed it in a table format which would have shown my different research sources. During the tutorial I was giving advice on how to put together my project proposal. It is now just a case of actually reading through the rest of my research, processing it, and writing it up.
I have been feeling unwell this week and missed the evening session on Tuesday. We also had a high house meeting planned but unfortunately due to being ill I missed this too. The high house meeting was to continue to plan the upcoming Kickstarter campaign. I have been working on high house Pinterest account and have created lots of new boards, and because I love social media and actively use it I have asked if I can help with the high house Instagram account too, which I have been given the log on detail and have just started to post on.
This week I have also been organising setting up a small studio space at home so that I can print at home. I have brought a silkscreen which I will get my image exposed on to university and will then take it home and have the freedom to print at home. Which will give me a lot of flexibility with no restrictions of timetables or free spaces.